How to Apply
When applying for admission in a Higher Degree Research program at Macquarie, completing the Macquarie University Higher Degree Research (HDR) Application for Admission form is one of the final steps in the process. Prospective candidates are required to investigate a research topic, discuss their interest with potential academic supervisors and prepare a research proposal to accompany their Application form.
Steps to follow
- Investigate the Faculty of Arts research areas and appropriate Department websites and contact potential academic supervisors in their areas of interest.
- Consult with potential staff supervisors in the chosen research field to discuss research interests and/or potential topic to ascertain whether the research project can be accommodated.
- Read through the Macquarie University Higher Degree Research Prospectus and the Higher Degree Research Guide for Candidates and Supervisors to confirm eligibility requirements for the Macquarie's higher degree research programs.
- Prepare the written research proposal
- Complete the Application.
Preparing a Research Proposal
A research proposal should define the chosen area of study, detail the aims of the proposed research project and provide an indication of the approach to the research the prospective candidate wishes to take. Sufficient detail is required to enable the Department to determine that it has the resources, including suitably experienced supervisors, to support the candidature.
A research proposal should contain the following information:
- a proposed project area of research
- the objectives of the research
- a possible methodology relevant to the topic
- a draft completion timeline or plan for the project
- identification of a possible research question
- clarification of the research project importance
English Language Proficiency
Proficiency in English language is a requirement for admission to all higher degree research programs at the Macquarie University. Higher degree research applicants (domestic and international) whose academic qualifications were obtained in a language other than English are required to provide evidence of English language proficiency. Minimum language proficiency requirements will not be waived for any applicant seeking an entry to higher degree research program.
Full information on the English language proficiency requirements is available from the Higher Degree Research Office website.
Application for Admission and Scholarship
The administration of the higher degree research applications for admission and scholarship is undertaken by the Higher Degree research Office (HDRO).
There are no set closing dates for applications to HDR programs if the applicant is not applying for a specific scholarship. If applying for a scholarship, the completed Application form and associated supporting documents must be submitted to the HDRO by the scholarship closing date.
Applicants are advised to check the HDRO Scholarship website for scholarship closing dates.